Scribes Strategic Plan
Strategic Priority 1: Scribes will continue to promote quality modern legal writing.
- Scribes will continue to publish a high-quality journal and newsletter.
- Scribes will continue to sponsor awards related to high-quality legal writing. In addition to awards related to outstanding legal writing, Scribes will explore creating a contest for rewriting “bad” legal writing.
- Scribes will explore creating a “National Legal Writing Week” in conjunction with the American Bar Association.
- Scribes will continue to sponsor the National Orders of Scribes for outstanding law students.
- Scribes will develop, distribute, and update guides, standards, and advice regarding quality legal writing.
- Scribes will produce a “Best of the Scribes Journal” book.
- Scribes will seek strategic relationships with other organizations that share the Scribes mission.
Strategic Priority 2: Scribes strives to be the largest, most influential legal-writing organization in the United States.
- Scribes will reach 800 individual members by 2017.
- Scribes will reach 80 institutional members by 2017.
- Scribes will review and consider expanding its membership categories keeping in mind its intended audience of law firms, the judiciary, and law schools; the review will encompass a consideration of dues and benefits associated with each category.
- Scribes will survey members to determine what benefits and services they value.
- Scribes will actively explore membership outreach and promotional opportunities.
Strategic Priority 3: Scribes will use the most effective means to promote the organization, the organization’s work, and quality legal writing.
- Scribes will maintain a website that offers members information about the organization and high-quality legal writing.
- Scribes will use social media to help achieve this priority.
- Scribes will feature, on its website and in its publication, the work and advice of outstanding legal writers.
- Scribes will provide meaningful service opportunities for its members.